Making Sense of Drug Options
We take the guesswork out of choosing medications.
Our Web site provides a range of information on clinical, cost and lifestyle considerations so
your employees can better manage their health and health care dollars.
- Understand what drugs are available for conditions like asthma, allergies, high blood pressure
- Manage their pharmacy benefit effectively by seeing tradeoffs between costs and other factors,
including side effects, efficacy and dosage
- Improve interactions with their health care provider by equipping them with a customized list
- See possible drug interactions with medications they are currently taking.
We also provide them with a drug comparison guide and decision framework for key
diseases that are often treated with drugs including:
- Acid reflux disease (GERD)
- Acute otitis media (ear infection)
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol)
UMR has a drug reference tool with information on more than 11,000 prescription drugs—including
generics and a drug-interaction checker with drug-to-drug information.
Comparing drugs side by side allows members to easily see things like side effects,
role in treatment and actions of different drug classes used to treat their condition. Other
information presented includes warnings, precautions, foods to avoid and advice on when to call a
doctor. There is even a checklist of questions to ask a physician that are specifically focused on
the condition and the drugs the consumer intends to discuss with them. A robust
drug-interaction checker allows members to list different medications they are currently taking and
retrieve information on drug-to-drug, drug-food, drug-disease, drug-alcohol and drug-tobacco
interactions. Members learn what to expect after starting a new medication, including how to
determine when to call a doctor for a different drug choice or adjusted dose. Additionally, there
is a complete comparison of the price differences between brand and generic substitutes—in
prescription and over-the-counter strengths where applicable. (The information is specific to our
pharmacy benefits plan formulary.)